The following list was put together with the help of the “Way West Herders,” a bunch of individuals who live in or around the Reno/Sparks/Tahoe area. These folks generously donated time and attention to offer suggestions as to how Way West 2021 attendees might have a better experience in the Reno/Sparks/Tahoe area. Thus, when you read this list, you’ll be getting an excellent idea of what the locals would recommend.
Of course, visitors to the Reno/Sparks/Tahoe area can gamble. But they can also do a crazy amount of other incredibly fun (and family friendly) things that do not necessarily involve the wagering of hard-earned money or the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
AND THOSE THINGS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- If getting back to nature is your thing, you’re in for a treat. You may have heard about this place called Lake Tahoe. That’s right. Lake Tahoe.
- Simply pick a spot on the Tahoe Rim Trail, go for a hike, and while you’re at it, congratulate yourself for making an excellent decision to go on this trip. Here’s a map. Now scram!
- Find beautiful hiking in Incline Village or Kings Beach.
- Check out the local faves such as Monkey Rock and Picnic Rock.
- Camp at Donner Lake and/or the surrounding areas.
- Want a family friendly beach? Check out Nevada Beach in South Lake or Kings Beach in North Shore.
- Find opportunities to boat, jet ski, and do other lake activities on Tahoe’s north beaches.
- Water ski. If you dare. Or go paddleboarding or kayaking.
- Go mountain biking at Lake Tahoe’s Northstar Bike Park.
- Ride the scenic Heavenly Mountain Gondola.
- Hit the streets and use your legs.
- Do family friendly things.
- If you’re feeling gutsy, go for a climb on a BaseCamp artificial climbing wall. As per the Guinness Book of World Records, they’ve got the world’s largest artificial climbing wall.
- Note: The “Climb to the Top” may not be open, depending on the weather.
- They’ve also got indoor bouldering.
- Step back in time and explore Virginia City, a 19th century mining town.
- Roadtrip. Want to go for a longer drive? Sacramento is 2 hours away, Yosemite is 4, and Napa is 4.
- Trap and untrap yourself in one of several escape rooms. Note: What follows is not to be confused with the Escape Room(s) at the WWHF Way West conference itself.
- Attend the Reno Rodeo scheduled for June 17 – 26, 2021.
- Shoot a gun at one of the many ranges. According to one Way West Herder, “You can shoot until your trigger finger falls off.”
- Throw some axes.
- Take a seat.
- Catch a movie at Galaxy Theaters. There’s one at Legends Mall and one at Victorian Square, both by the Nugget.
- Watch a Reno Aces Minor League Baseball game.
- Find a casino and do casino things.
Been to the area? Live in the area? See something that needs added to or removed from the list? Email us at [email protected] and let us know!
**Please note: COVID-19 may affect the availability of these fun things to do. For optimal results, research and plan your trip in advance. Investigate the above options in addition to asking around/calling/googling. Activities like skiing and mountain biking are seasonal.**